Custom Search

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Recollections of Life - Engineering (Part 5)

SE Sem 2!!..it was going to be a tough one (MIT, DS, M-3 being the culprits!!). But well, eventually i realized that it was waaaaaaaaay more than tough!!...

I had started bunking more and my teachers knew me as 'The guy who never attends after the break!'. They also knew me by name. Major disappointment!!

Heres a tip : IF YOU WANT TO MAINTAIN A LOW PROFILE, MAKE SURE NO ONE KNOWS YOUR NAME...NO ONE!!

So getting on, i had friends who helped me out in 'THEIR' traumatic times...hehehe...(its not a typo!!). They helped me with my print-outs, notes and assignments. It was great to have them
around and im forever indebted to them.

This semester also made me realize that i was crazy about music. As in i was hooked on to it. Studying for long hours at a stretch would not have been possible without music. I would listen to really really loud music. So much so, that one day one of our neighbors, from the other building, came out wielding a BROOM and threatened me to reduce the volume (obviously i had to..what with the broom being brandished in front of me!!). But, as soon as she went in, i increased the volume again. She still thinks im one of those useless people who never listen (it might be true though).

Getting back to college. I had never witnessed such a flurry of activities. Abhivyakti, IntechXication, Inter-Dept Sports, Inter-College Sports...the list was endless. I was spell-bound!! But i was busy studying the never-ending IIT syllabus which resulted in my missing all these activities. I felt bad...but it was a choice i had to make.

But due to all the events, the college premises looked more like the venue for some concert...students and teachers thronged to the college (from various colleges), there were people all around. It was superb. It was a spectacle that i was to witness every year for the next 2 years.

But after all the festivities ended, we were reminded that we were supposed to pass the exams too, and not just fool around..Damn these exams!! The first step was the submissions. I copied everything from various sources and was the last to submit the files. One teacher was so shocked at the dismal quality of my work she made me tell her why im "not interested in doing anything properly in life!!!". So, i told her that i was going to appear for the IIT exam and thats why i dont have much time. The look on her face was amazing. First, she rolled her eyes, they became wide, and her mouth opened. I thought she was impressed. Instead, she says "Veda aahes ka tu?" (Are you mad?). Then it was my turn to be shocked.

The same thing happened with all the professors and one by one they scolded the living daylights out of me. Not a nice thing to happen 1 month before the JEE Mains. Anyway, in one such ncident, one prof said "Whats the difference between MIT and IIT!??...Just replace the 'M' with an 'I' !!". I was more shocked than ever and started laughing there itself.

Then exams came and went (badly as usual) and SE was over (finally!!). I was anxious for my Mains results and the SE results (both were bad) and more importantly, i had managed to step into the penultimate year (hopefully) of my engineering...with some subjects pending but nonetheless!!

- to be continued...

No comments: